Thursday, March 17, 2016

Relationships - What Does It Take?

           Last Saturday I drove past a church that had an interesting statement on their sign and I took that to be the title of the sermon for the following day. I decided to go to church there last Sunday. Once I arrived I found out the youth (middle and high school students) would be leading the worship and that it had nothing to do with what was on their sign. For half a second after I learned this I was tempted to leave and go to the church across the street—but I decided that this was where I was and my mission was to listen.
In actuality-the youth did a nice job. The concept they used was that of a “yard sale” and as a box ‘from the attic’ was unpacked throughout the service each object removed (a photo album, tools, etc.) was used to make a point about relationships, specifically – relationships within the church. Everyone on the stage played a part in the service—the music, readings, prayers, serving of the Lord’s Supper or in speaking.  Each person who spoke told a story from their own life that had to do with relationships and they asked the congregation to consider how they could improve or increase their relationships with each other. 
Once upon a time churches and faith communities played a much larger role in the social fabric of our society than they do today. Now church can be a place to go or an activity to attend rather than where one can forge a sense of community and be nurtured by the other members of the community. Simplistically, if one shows up for worship and leaves immediately afterwards when it is over this is rather like going through a drive-thru to get something to eat. In contrast, if one gets involved and engaged with the church – it is more like a family style meal that requires significant time, effort and care-in its preparation, but also in its consumption and enjoyment - since everyone would agree a home cooked meal will always be better than fast food. The same can be said of relationships.  A simple thing I have tried to do in my life and taught my children too-is ‘be the friend you want’- if you want a trustworthy friend-be trustworthy yourself, if you want a friend who is thoughtful and considerate-be so yourself. It is the ‘do onto others as you want done onto yourself’ approach to making and keeping friends. I believe this is the best strategy for developing the community of relationships one desires. 
In summation, perhaps the following verses could serve as a formula for relating to others (Have the mindset of Christ + Love One Another = Godly Relationships):

Philippians 2:5-9: “In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death—even death on a cross!”

John 13:34 & 35“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

No comments:

Post a Comment