Saturday, April 29, 2017

"Salvation Talk"

Fifty 2 Sunday's ~ Listening 4 God

        The sermon was titled "Born Again" and the text was from John 3:1-8 about Nicodemus, a Pharisee and a member of the Jewish ruling party, who came to Jesus in the night to speak to him.  Nicodemus starts by acknowledging to Jesus that he knows he has come from God, or else he could not "perform the signs" he had been doing.  In responding, Jesus wasted no time with idle talk, rather he told him that unless he was "born again" he would not see the kingdom of God.

        At some point during the well delivered scripturally based sermon, the minister stopped and encourage the congregation to participate in the classes they were having to teach people how to talk about salvation.  He then outlined how the basics - how a person needs to hear the word of truth (the gospel story), believe it (Jesus), accept it (Jesus), repent of their sins, confess Jesus as savior and be baptized (immersed) .  He advocated that members of the congregation undertake engaging people in "salvation talk".

        It took me back to my conversion...I cannot quite explain how I went from unbelief to believing- but I did.  I wasn’t raised in church and neither of my parents took it upon themselves to educate me about religion, faith, etc.  What I knew about Jesus was completely superficial; he was the reason we had Christmas and Easter, he supposedly performed a bunch of miracles (i.e. walked on water, healed people, made water into wine, etc.) and that Jesus died for me.  NONE of this made any sense or connected with me.  It sounded like pure silly rubbish.  I somehow thought I believed in a God, but like many today, the God I 'believed in' was an all-encompassing-anything goes sort of God.

        The first sermon I ever really listened to was on November 9, 1980.  I do not recall what the sermon was about- but less than two months later - after 6-7 weeks of going to church on Sunday and studying scriptures with the college minister's wife - I moved from a place of unbelief to belief.  I went from not knowing exactly what sin was - to a conviction of my sin and a readiness to repent.  I went from thinking that Jesus' death on the cross sounded like a bunch of poppycock to feeling emotional about it.  I wanted to be born again - of "the water and spirit" (John 3:5) - I wanted to be 'clean' before God-and to have a 'new' beginning in life.  I struggled with the thought (and really it is a lie of Satan's) that I had to 'get my life right' before I could be born again.  However, in the end, my desire and pull of God pushed me up out of my seat at the altar call as the song "I surrender" was being sung.  I went forward to confess my faith in Jesus and be baptized on December 28, 1980.

        I cannot explain how this occurred--I know that it is largely the work of the Holy Spirit - that brought me to the point to where I could actually 'hear' and 'receive' the truth.  I believe God orchestrated my footsteps, the circumstances and timing, and so much more than I will ever know or understand except for the fact that I can say I was changed and that it is real.  Every time I take the Lord's supper, part of my prayer is thanking God for finding me and redeeming me from the "empty way of life" (I Peter 1:18). 

         God is in the salvation business - we can "plant" and "water" but "It is not important who does the planting, or who does the watering.  What's important is that God makes the seed grow” (I Corinthians 3:7 - New Living Translation).  Rest assured if we keep ourselves open and stay closely connected to God, he will 'use' us for his purposes in the life of another - and it may be to help them come to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ.  This is "salvation talk" as the minister put it.

        As a postscript, I want to share that the person I spoke about in the blog before this one ("The Church of the Human Heart") died this past week- eight days after I visited them.  I did not sense they were close to death when I was there - but I am eternally grateful that we did not merely engage in idle talk, instead we spoke of God and Jesus, of salvation and eternal life.  It is a fact that none of us knows when our last day is or when we will see or speak to someone for the last time.  We are to "make the most of every opportunity" (Colossians 4:5b) and if we do, we can live with no regrets.  May God help us live so each day.

*~*

        This is my 52nd post-it took me more than 12 months to achieve '52'.  Nearly 40 of the 52-blog entries were from churches other than my 'home' church.  Overall, it has been an encouraging experience - of attending a diverse group of churches mostly in my community and listening for God in the words said and lessons taught.  It has been a spiritual discipline for me to reflect and write weekly about what I have 'heard' God say.  I am grateful for the discipline.  I could easily continue it for another year, but for now (or for some undefined period) I am going to take a break from blogging.  I may be back and perhaps I will blog about something completely different.  To my readers, most of whom are unknown to me, Thank You!  May the sweetness of Christ draw you and keep you forevermore.

Blessings,

Kx Hickok

        

No comments:

Post a Comment