Wednesday, January 4, 2017

A New Direction or Not?

Fifty2 Sunday’s ~ Listening for God

        The New Year’s Day sermon titled “A New Direction” was an encouraging message to remain open to how God might lead us in the coming year.  A 'new' or 'alternate' direction might be just in order.  The scripture text for the lesson came from Matthew 2:1-12- the story of the Magi who visited the Christ child and return to their home a different way having been warned to do so in a dream. 
         After doing a bit of reflection on my history with 'new' versus 'old' (or 'same'), I have to admit I probably prefer the new to the old or familiar.  When I first came to Christ, I experienced being 'made new' (II Corinthians 5:17) and I wanted all of my life to reflect this change instantly.  However, it did not work that way, change had to happen on the inside first.  It was a learning process and scripture, along with the encouragement of other believers and my church were all instrumental to the transformation that occurred.  Old ways of living began to be replaced with new ones and over time-both the person I was on the inside and the life I lived on the outside were changed. 
        I desire to finish 'the race' (my life) strong in the faith even as I physically grow old and weak.  To do this, I need to continue to seek Him much like the Magi who sought to find the infant born in a manger and if there are course corrections required, I trust God to show me, as he showed the three wise men. 
           It is good to be committed to what we understand to be God's will and way-but we never want to miss the adjustments he might be asking us to make in our lives. And this may involve an alternate route. Whatever direction life takes you this year, may you draw nearer to God along the way (James 4:8 & Hebrews 10:22).  Amen.

                                              Happy New Year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment