Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Does This Fit Your Reality?

    The sermon Sunday was about Joseph's life; the key verse was Romans 8:28 (below).  Throughout the sermon, the minister highlighted how through the difficulties of Joseph's life he remained faithful to God. 

      "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose" (Romans 8:28).  (NIV)
     
      'In all things...God works...for the good ...of those who love him...and have been called according to his purpose.'  This verse can serve as a 'faith barometer'.  It sounds good and it seems easy to believe when things in life are going well.  In difficult circumstances, extreme hardship or tragedy, am I still as confident about this? 

     Like any faith test, there is my part and there is God's part.  I have to decide what I believe.  Do I put my trust in Him and believe that God has my well being or 'good' in mind?  Am I willing to acknowledge I have limitations, God's thoughts and ways are not my (our) thoughts or ways (Isaiah 55:8) and I don't have all the information, as the Apostle Paul said, I only "know in part" but someday "I shall know fully" (I Corinthians 13:9-12).  To be ‘called’ (see: Vine's Dictionary) means to be invited, summoned, etc.  I Timothy 2:4 says that God "wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth"; and Jesus said that no one could come to him unless "the Father who sent me draws them" (John 6:44).  God's part is the calling and drawing of the person; my (our) part is in hearing and responding to His invitation.  As it pertains to "his purpose", God's (eternal) purpose, was accomplished in Christ Jesus (Ephesians 3:11) to "bring many sons and daughters to glory" and free them from the fear of death (Hebrews 2:10 & 15). 

     If then, I as a daughter (or son) of God, have been set free from the burden of sin and the fear of death, what can prohibit me from believing that God is working in and out the details ("all things") of my life in a way that is "good" and according to His purposes?  Why should I not accept this as reality? 

     It is a strange thing what we consider real.  I recall when I was in fifth grade one of my teachers read us a story reported in Look Magazine about aliens abducting a New Hampshire couple and taking them on their spaceship (see: Alien Abduction).  The wisdom of that teacher is definitely in question for having read that to us because the impact on me was profound.  Prior to hearing that story, I had never heard of UFOs or aliens and therefore, they were not a part of my reality.  Afterwards I thought that aliens might be (?) real and for long time I was scared, especially at night when I saw any light move across the sky.
  I have since quit worrying about aliens and abductions, but of late have grown concerned about publically presented information that claims to be real and representative of reality - only then to have the information said to be "alternative facts" or "fake news" (new terminology for lying?). 

     The enemy of our souls would desire nothing more than to lead us a stray, or have us put our confidence in something not accurate or true.  Satan is very skilled at this.  Consider how he tempted Eve, by twisting the truth just slightly so that she believed him and acted accordingly (Genesis 3:1-6).  One could say one bite altered Eve's reality!  We need to be well acquainted with the truth of scripture and ask God to give us wisdom, not the wisdom of the world, but wisdom that comes from Him to be able to discern what is true, right and real and let this be our reality. 


    

No comments:

Post a Comment